SYNTH BUILD & JAM - Beakerhead workshop
Geared towards beginners and intermediate music lovers, our "Synth Build Jam" is a unique workshop that's informative, fun and entertaining. MintySynth is an Arduino-compatible synthesizer/sequencer/audio experiment kit that fits neatly in a tin. It is intended to be an educational tool as well as a fun toy, and is a great way to learn about electronics, programming, and music. It’s open source and hackable! Soldering is required, but assembly is straightforward and generally takes one to two hours.
Included: This class is meant to be experienced with 2 people. Registration includes 2 people and 1 kit. You can also purchase extra kits if you would like.
Ages: 6 - 13 (will need an adult helper), Ages 13 and up.
Time: 3 hours
Instructor: Brandon Smith
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2017
Time: 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Beat Drop - 1120 17 Ave SW - (West Side of the Boston Pizza Building)
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
- Anyone new to, and interested in electronics and music
- Parents and Kids (Ages 6 and up)
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- We provide all the tools necessary
I'VE NEVER SOLDERED BEFORE!!
Perfect! Then this is the class for you. We teach you how to solder and use the tools necessary to create this great little noise maker.
LEARN - 30 min
- Learn what the Minty Synth can do and how it works
- What is soldering?
- Learn to solder and practice soldering on scrap circuit boards
CREATE - 90 min
- Organize parts and separate pieces
- Learn the geography of the circuit board
- Begin placing parts and attempt your first working solder
- Continue soldering parts and learn the different functions of each piece
- Add buttons and battery container
- Begin your final assembly and test your synth
- Fix any issues and soldering problems
JAM TIME - 45 min
- Plug your new synth into our PK Soundsystem
- Interact and connect with Ableton Live and learn about effects
- Jam with others, listen to your synth through our effects chain