Electronic music history
fall SEMESTER BEGINS sept 3 2018
Develop your critical listening skills as you follow the path of electronic music; the pioneers and the technology that helped transform and create what we call electronic music today.
6 classes (2 hours)
Instructor: Scott Fuhrmann
Who is this course for?
- Producers and DJ's wanting a deeper understanding of the roots and origins of today's electronic music.
- Part of the Producer Master's Certificate
Upon finishing the class you will know
- The history and evolution of electronic music
- Identify the key characteristics of various genres of electronic music
- The key producers and pioneers who influenced and birthed genres
- The technology that helped change and give inspiration to artists
- Dub / dancehall
- House, techno and trance
- Dubstep / drum and bass
- Hip hop
- Downtempo / ambient
- Technology and Hardware innovations and milestones
Create a "mixtape" featuring songs from each style discussed and short essay (400 - 800 words) why they are important to you.
Bonus: Create your mixtape on an actual cassette and include artwork
What you will need
- Headphones and a notepad.
- We have iMacs with midi controllers, loaded with Ableton 9 Suite provided for you.
- You can purchase LIve 9 Suite through us at Educational pricing. HERE.
- Prior musical experience or knowledge of Live is not required.
Register for electronic music history
"Its great to see the cycles of popular music in history, it enables you to predict what will come back in style in the future."-Ben
"I would certainly recommend this course to somebody who is interested in the very roots of electronic instruments and music and how it changed the music world."-Kurt
"History is a big part of music and if you're gonna get into music you should know its background"-Jake