July 16 - july 20| 2018 (Ages 12-16)
july 23 - july 27| 2018 (Ages 12-16)
july 30 - August 03| 2018(ages 8-11)
Ages 12 -16 & 8-11 depending on the week
16 Spots available per week
Location: Beat Drop (1120 17th Ave SW, Calgary, AB)
Camper to Instructor Ratio - 3:1
Instructors are professional DJ's and Producers
[BOOK A TOUR]
Who is this course for?
- Students who want to learn to DJ and produce music in a fun and collaborative setting
What you will learn
- How to setup industry-standard DJ and production equipment: turntables, interfaces, mixers and speakers
- Fundamental DJ skills including how to beat match and basic scratching
- How to build a mini synth from scratch (see video for example)
- How to produce beats and develop song ideas using Ableton Live 9 Suite
- How musicians and artists are creating careers from their music and art (Q&A and artist lectures)
What you get
- Access to industry standard DJ and production gear
- Over 20 hours of professional instruction
- Special guest appearances
- Beat Drop T-shirt and a chance to win prizes from sponsors
- 3 tickets to the Pizza Party Jam Thursday Night
- Handmade mini synth
- Field trips (Past years trips included the National Music Centre & CJSW's campus radio station)
What do you need to bring?
- A pair of headphones (you may purchase headphones from the Beat Drop shop see below)
- Bag Lunch or money for lunch (17th ave has many food options)
- Everything else is provided.
- 10am-12pm - DJ Stations
- 12pm-1230pm - Open Lab Time
- 1230-1pm - Music History and Critical Listening
- 1pm-2pm - Lunch, Outdoor activity and Field Trips
- 2pm-4pm - Production Stations | Synth build
- 4pm-430pm - Open Lab and Jam Time
- 430pm - Home
Family PIZZA JAM
Thursday Night will be our Family Pizza Jam. Where families will be invited to join us at Beat Drop for food and music, live performances from Beat Drop artists and special live performances from students.
What experience do I need?
Prior DJ or musical experience is not required. By the end of the course, students will be ready to showcase and perform their songs for their peers. Because of the small class size and open learning environment, each student receives ample personal attention and comes away with a working knowledge of producing with Ableton and DJ'ing with Turntables.
** Please note there will be absolutely no refunds after the first day has started.