WINTER SEMESTER Begins JANUARY 15
Learn the fundamentals of creating the sounds you love with vintage and modern day hardware and software.
12 classes (2 hours)
Instructor: Brandon Smith
What is this course about?
The goal of Synthesis I is to provide students with a fundamental understanding of how synthesizers work and where they came from. The history of synthesizers, from the earliest electronic instruments of the 1900s through to the powerful soft-synths commonly used today, will be covered with plenty of interesting A/V material and hands-on experience with real vintage hardware. ie: (Theremin, MiniMoog, Oberheim OB-8, Korg DW-8000, Korg M-1)
In addition to a solid historical background, essential synth elements such as oscillators, filters, and envelopes will be explored: what they do, how they work together, and how to go about creating sounds beyond the manufacturer’s pre-set patches.
Upon finishing this course you will know:
- How to identify just about any synthesizer by type, old or new, and how to use it
- How to create any sound of your own concept using a hardware or software synthesizer
- How to incorporate synthesizers and synth-style processing techniques into DAW programs like Ableton Live
- How to distinguish where your favorite “retro” synth sounds come from along with other classic sounds like those made by Moog, ARP and Oberheim
Who is this class for?
- Producers of any level looking for a deeper understanding of synthesis and synthesizers
- Producers looking for new tools and sounds that best suit them
- Music Enthusiasts interested in how music is made and what sounds they are hearing in their favorite tracks
- Synthesizer history
- Synthesizer modules – (VCO, VCF, VCA, CV processors, LFO, Wave Shapers)
- Common synthesizer layouts
- Different methods of synthesis (subtractive, additive, FM, wavetable etc.)
- Incorporating synth elements into audio production
- Sequencing in Live using combinations of soft-synths and hardware
- The merits and pitfalls of using vintage equipment vs. new
- Hardware vs. software - finding the right synth for you
What you will need
- We have iMacs with midi controllers, loaded with Ableton 9 Suite
- You can purchase LIve 9 Suite through us at Educational pricing. HERE.
- Prior musical experience or knowledge of Live is not required.
Register for Synthesis
PLEASE NOTE "**" DENOTES A CONDENSED COURSE. SUMMER PRODUCTION COURSES ARE 6 WEEKS LONG WITH 2 HOUR CLASSES TAKING PLACE TWICE PER WEEK. THESE CONDENSED SUMMER COURSES FOLLOW THE SAME CURRICULUM AS OUR FALL AND WINTER COURSES.
4 payments of $330
Total Cost: $1,320
- First payment at time of registration
- Second payment on the first of each following month
Payment Plan includes a 10% administration fee.
***Save up to $144 off this course when you register for a Producer Certificate***
“Passionate and fitting teacher introducing the world of synthesis.” - Jeremy
“This course is perfect for anyone looking to learn the fundamentals of synthesis or sound design” -Mark
“If you are interested in creating your own personalized unique synthesized sounds this course is for you! I have a clear understanding of how to control a synth.” -Stephen